Wave of Houthi missile, drone attacks on Saudi Arabia thwarted

211 Views

RIYADH: Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi militia unleashed a wave of ballistic missile and drone attacks against Saudi Arabia on Saturday, defying calls by the international community for a return to the peace table.

All of the missiles and drones were intercepted and destroyed, but falling debris from the missile that was shot down in the Eastern Province injured a boy and a girl in Dammam city, the Arab coalition supporting Yemen’s legitimate government said early Sunday.

Falling debris also caused slight damage to 14 residential houses, coalition spokesman Brigadier General Turki Al-Maliki said in a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA).

The second missile targeted the southwestern region of Najran late Saturday, followed by a third on the adjacent region of Jazan, which was shot down by Saudi air defenses at 9:23 p.m., Al-Maliki said.

Earlier in the day, coalition air defenses intercepted three booby-trapped drones launched by the Houthis, he said.


Arab coalition spokesman Brig. Gen. Turki Al-Maliki. (File/AFP)

Houthi attempts to target civilians and civilian objects is not only hostile and barbaric, but also “incompatible with heavenly values ​​and humanitarian principles,” Al-Maliki was quoted by SPA as saying.

The coalition said it is taking strict measures to protect civilians the cross-border attacks.

Houthis had also launched drones toward saudi Arabia on Friday morning and evening. Both attempts were intercepted.

The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) strongly condemned the attacks and praised the Kingdom’s air defense forces for intercepting them. 

OIC Secretary-General Yousef Al-Othaimeen affirmed the organization’s support for all measures taken by the Kingdom to protect its land, security, and stability.

Al-Othaimeen added that the organization condemns Houthi aggressions and those who provide the militia with money and weapons.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.